It’s that time of year again when the first question you are asked by most people is ‘so what’s your New Year’s resolution?’ Most people either want to do more or less of something. One friend of mine is going to exercise more; another is going to eat less chocolate. Mine is one that would normally fall into the going to do less of category, but I’m going to buck the trend and do more of it. My New Year’s resolution is that I am going to drink more. Of course as I am studying for an MA in food and wine and WSET Diploma I have an excuse to drink more, well that’s my story.
I have spent the last year learning about wine – viticulture and vinification, appellation regulations, how to make champagne and fortified wines, the wine business. But I feel that I haven’t drunk enough of it; although I’m sure my colleagues who regularly take the mick out of my new career path would disagree. They seem to be under the impression that I have a drip in my arm constantly feeding me Chardonnay and Pinot Noir and that I bathe in the finest Champagne.
So to help keep my resolution I have been trawling the internet for wine events, trade tastings and fairs that I could attend. Here’s a small round up of some of the events that will be taking place over the next year that I will be attending, perhaps you would like to join me? They are South West focused, because that’s where I live and we also have some great wine merchants who offer really great tastings.
- 7th March Matthew Jukes Top 100 Australian Wines Roadshow at Great Western Wine, Bath, www.greatwesternwine.co.uk/events – keep a look out for when they update their events page for this year as they host some great tastings.
- 16th March Decanter Fine New World Wine Encounter, Lancaster London Hotel, www.decanter.com
- 17th-18th March The Real Wine Fair, venue tbc, www.therealwinefair.com
- 10th April Lafite-Rothschild Tasting, Averys Bristol Cellars, www.averys.com
- 18th May Decanter Fine French Wine Encounter, Landmark Hotel, www.decanter.com
- 19th-20th May Raw Wine Fair, London, www.rawfair.com
- 20th-22nd May London International Wine Fair (trade only), Excel, London, www.londonwinefair.com
- 12th-16th June BBC Good Food Show, NEC, Birmingham, www.bbcgoodfoodshow.com
- 26th June International Wine Challenge A Taste of Gold, London (trade & public), www.internationalwinechallenge.com
- 26th June Bordeaux Tasting, Averys Bristol Cellar, www.averys.com
- 6th-7th July Three Wine Men, Lord’s Cricket Ground, London, www.threewinemen.co.uk
- 11th-12th September The Beautiful South tasting, Olympia 2, London
- 6th-7th October Three Wine Men, The Parc Hotel, Cardiff, www.threewinemen.co.uk
- 16th-17th November Decanter Fine Wine Encounter, Landmark Hotel, www.decanter.com
- 27th November Staff Highlights, Averys Bristol Cellars, www.averys.com
This is only a very small sample of all the tastings going on this year. If you have any you would like to share please add to the comments box.